ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 140472
Last updated: 13 June 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic B733 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Boeing 737-3U3
Owner/operator:Garuda Indonesia Airways
Registration: PK-GGO
C/n / msn: 28736/3032
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 108
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Minor
Location:Malang-Abdul Rahman Saleh Airport (WARA) -   Indonesia
Phase: Landing
Nature:Domestic Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport:Jakarta-Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (CGK/WIII)
Destination airport:Malang-Abdul Rahman Saleh Airport (WARA)
On 22 July 2011, a Boeing 737-300 aircraft registered PK-GGO was being operated as a scheduled passenger flight GA292, from Jakarta, to Malang, Indonesia.
On the descend phase, Malang ATC reported there were 2 traffics in front of GA292 so as a consequence, GA292 had to make high level VOR holding procedure for runway 35 before executing approach and landing.
ATC then instructed flight GA292 to commence high level VOR approach runway 35 circling runway 17 procedure due to the latest surface wind information received was southerly 10-15 knots. GA292 proceeded as instructed by ATC and continued to leave the holding fix and conducted a letdown procedure for runway 35.
The flight crew of GA292 was able to see the runway visually about 4 DME then continued with circling maneuver to join right downwind runway 17. After a right downwind procedure was completed, GA292 flight proceeded to right base leg of runway 17.
During turning from base leg to join the final course for runway 17, the Captain saw and assessed that the flight was too high (above the normal glide path) and that they had turned too early so that the flight was on the right of the centerline. By observing this condition, the Captain decided to take over the control from the First Officer and continued the approach to land. The captain tried hard to make a glide path correction by increasing the rate of descend and by reducing the engine thrust while at the same time he made a correction to bring the aircraft aligned with runway centerline. The Captain continued the approach and landing process.
At 14.09, the flight touched down on runway 17 and rolled down to the end of the runway to conduct a 180 degrees turn as stated by local airport authority. The ATC asked the flight about the possibility of hard landing, and GA 292 confirmed the hard landing.
The ATC then requested GA292 to hold on the end of runway 35 for an inspection by Airport safety officer. The Airport Safety Officers conducted runway inspection for foreign object damage (FOD). They found some metal debris on the touchdown area of runway 17.
After the Airport safety officer stated the inspection was done, the aircraft was cleared to continue taxiing to apron and disembark the passengers in a normal way. After all shutdown procedures had been carried out, the Captain requested the engineer to conduct hard landing inspection. The initial visual inspection by engineer found that nose wheel hub broken and left engine inlet cowling damage. The aircraft grounded for further inspection and repair.
All 108 occupants were no injured. The aircraft was damaged.

The investigation concluded that the aircraft approach was un-stabilized until below 300 ft. The decision to take over control during the un-stabilized approach was not consistent to the operator standard operating procedures as well as the Crew Resources Management (CRM) Policy implementation.



Revision history:

18-Dec-2011 12:50 harro Added
03-Aug-2014 19:08 harro Updated [Source, Narrative, Photo, ]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description