ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 147113
Last updated: 6 August 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic F100 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Fokker 100
Owner/operator:Merpati Nusantara Airlines
Registration: PK-MJD
C/n / msn: 11474
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 95
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Minor
Category:Serious incident
Location:Kupang-Eltari Airport (KOE) -   Indonesia
Phase: Landing
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Makassar-Sultan Hasanuddin International Airport (UPG)
Destination airport:Kupang-Eltari Airport (KOE)
Investigating agency: NTSC Indonesia
A Merpati Fokker 100 was damaged in a runway excursion accident at Kupang-Eltari Airport (KOE), Indonesia. None of the 88 passengers and seven crew members were injured.
Merpati Flight MZ5840 was a scheduled passenger flight from Makassar-Sultan Hasanuddin Airport (UPG), with destination El Tari Airport, Kupang. Acting as pilot flying was the Second in Command (SIC) while the Pilot in Command acted as Pilot Monitoring.
There was no abnormality reported from the previous flight, on transit and on this flight until when the approach to Kupang. The weather at Kupang was Visual Meteorological Condition (VMC) and the pilots planned to make a visual approach on runway 07. On approach, at approximately 2,000 feet, at a distance approximately 10 NM to the runway, the pilot selected the landing gear to the down position. After the selection, the left main landing gear indicator light showed red, while the others were green. The approach was continued while the pilot recycled the landing gear to up position. The landing gear indicator light showed that all gear successfully to up position and locked. Then the pilot selected the grars down again, but the same indication as previous appeared. The pilot then elected to abort the approach to solve this problem. The pilot reported to the Air Traffic Controller (ATC) the reason for a go-around and requested an area for holding to solve the problem. The controller gave a clearance to hold over Kupang Bay, approximately 10 - 15 NM from the airport.
There was a maintenance engineer on the flight who was asked to come to cockpit to observe the problem. The pilot tried to solve the problem by conducting the procedure according to the emergency checklist, including selecting the landing gear by the alternate selector. The pilot repeated the procedure several times and failed to get a down and locked indication for the left hand gear.
The pilot then requested to the ATC to fly at low altitude over the airport and asked to the ATC to observe the landing gear condition. The pilot also asked through the company radio for an engineer on-ground to observe visually the landing gear condition.
At 20:24 the aircraft flew over the airport and the controller reported that the left main landing gear door was open but the landing gear was still in the up position.
The pilot then returned to the holding area, repeated the procedure but this was unsuccessful. Both pilots and the engineer had a discussion and decided to attempt a non-procedural method to get the landing gear down. The first attempt was by pulling-up the aircraft to create a significant positive G force. The second attempt was by switching off the hydraulic pump system number 1 to stop the hydraulic pressure to the landing gear, and used the alternate landing gear down selector and hoped that the landing gear would fall by gravity. These attempts were unsuccessful.
After all attempts to lower the landing gear had failed, the pilot decided to land with the left main landing gear in up position. At 20:42, the pilot informed ATC about their intention and asked for ground support. The pilot also asked the flight attendants to prepare for an abnormal landing.
After all preparations were ready, the pilot made an approach with the left main landing gear at up position. The aircraft landed at 21:32 and touched down at the touch down zone on runway 07. The pilot flying held the left wing as long as possible and kept the aircraft on the centre line, and the pilot monitoring shut down both engines.
As the aircraft speed decreasing the left wing contacted to the runway, and the aircraft started to swing to the left. The aircraft stopped at about 1,200 meters from the beginning of runway 07, on the left shoulder of the runway. After the aircraft stopped, the FA instructed to the passengers to keep calm and to evacuate the aircraft. The pilot continued the procedures for emergency. The evacuation was performed through all door and window exits. No one was injured on this serious incident.
The debris trapped in the chamber between the orifice and the stopper of the restrictor check valve, it caused the orifice closed. This condition was resulted the hydraulic flow from the actuator blocked and caused the left main landing gear jammed at up position.


Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: NTSC Indonesia
Status: Investigation completed
Download report: Final report


Photo of PK-MJD courtesy

Kupang - El Tari (WATT / KOE)
21 November 2007; (c) Peter de Jong

(c) NTSC

Revision history:

26-Jul-2012 07:20 harro Added
17-Feb-2015 20:32 harro Updated [Damage, Narrative, Photo, ]
17-Feb-2015 20:32 harro Updated [Photo, ]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description