Accident Armstrong Whitworth Siskin Mk IIa (DC) J9191, 13 Feb 1930
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 209301
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Armstrong Whitworth Siskin Mk IIa (DC)
Owner/operator:32 Squadron Royal Air Force (32 Sqn RAF)
Registration: J9191
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Epsom, Surrey -   United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Departure airport:RAF Kenley, Whyteleafe, Surrey
Destination airport:
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Armstrong Whitworth Siskin Mk.IIa (DC) J9191, 32 Squadron, RAF Kenley, Whyteleafe, Surrey: Written off (destroyed) 13/2/30 when controls jammed. Pilot bailed out, but was killed when parachute failed to open over Epsom, Surrey. Pilot - Sgt Cecil Arthur Alfred Fell (aged 27) - was killed. A report of the inquest into the death of the pilot was published in "The Aeroplane" 26/2/30:

"FELL, Cecil Alfred Arthur, Sergeant (350944) - Killed 13 February 1930 in a Siskin of No.32 (Fighter) Squadron. An inquest was held at Kenley on February 17 on the body of Sergeant Fell, who was killed on February 13 in a flying accident. Sergeant King said he saw Sergeant Fell flying towards him in a two-seater Siskin about 20 feet from the ground. The parachute in the rear cockpit was strapped in to the satisfaction of Sergeant Fell.

Asked of the parachute could become mixed up with the control, Sergeant King said that depended on chance. F/L Trench said he saw Sergeant Fell flying round and round and though that something was jamming his control in the back sear. The speaker flew up alongside him and made signs to him to perform certain revolutions which would drop the parachute out of the back seat. Sergeant Fell tied to loop but failed. Sergeant Fell finally made signs that he was going to jump and followed the speaker to a height of about 6,000 feet.

Suddenly Sergeant Fell left the other machine and dived down to about 4,000 feet. Then the machine went out of control and Sergeant Fell left his machine with his parachute. F/L Trench said that he landed and motored to the spot where the machine fell. He found that Fell had not pulled the parachute cord. The control had been jammed by something which might have been a parachute or a cap.

Dr W. Stalker said that he thought that the strain had caused Fell to lose control of his mental facilities. That would account for his not pulling the cord of his parachute.”



Revision history:

15-Apr-2018 01:05 Dr. John Smith Added
19-Apr-2018 22:57 Dr. John Smith Updated [Registration, Narrative]
10-Nov-2018 07:06 Nepa Updated [Operator, Operator]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2023 Flight Safety Foundation

701 N. Fairfax St., Ste. 250
Alexandria, Virginia 22314