ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 158893
Last updated: 29 June 2020
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Type:Silhouette image of generic CNBR model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Martin WB-57F Canberra
Owner/operator:United States Air Force - USAF (United States Air Force - USAF)
Registration: 63-13292
C/n / msn: ?
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:in Manzano Mountains, NM -   United States of America
Phase: En route
Departure airport:
Destination airport:
S Aguirre Crew Chief of 63-13292 reported:
On the morning of 27 June 1972 I did ground on engine start for the crew of RB-57F (63-13292). I did the preflight engine and the power on checks with the crew before I blocked them out for the days mission. I wished the crew a good flight, disconnected the ground headset and when the pilot was ready I waved the plane forward and to my left and gave the pilot a snappy salute as he went by.

The plane made an uneventful take off but a nice one as he did a full power climb into the New Mexico sky and I followed it until the plane disappeared.

I then went to lunch and then back to my room to wait for the plane to return later in the day. When I was in the room I had a feeling that I should look out the window and that is when I saw something very high in the sky. Something large and shiny was in the blue sky and it seemed to be descending. I ran outside to the balcony of the second floor at the same time yelling down the hall that something was happening. When outside could see large pieces of airplane coming down streaming fuel as they descended. I could also see that it was probably one of our F models from the extremely large center wing section that was tumbling down. Other airmen were there by that time. It took a good 10 to 15 minutes for the pieces to come down into the mountains and disappear.

I went back to the flightline and into the flightline office and told the my supervisor there that I think I just saw one of our planes go down. Of course it took some time to get any confirmation on it and eventually it came in. It was RB-57F 292. Both crewmen were lost.

I went on leave after that but upon returning I could see a US Army Skycrane bringing back the larger pieces of the plane. Those parts large and small went into one of our hangars for inspection. Of course I was interviewed by the crash investigators and I told them all that I saw. I estimated I first spotted the the plane at about 50,000 feet and I was pretty close. by Air Force Tech Sgt S Aguirre


- JF Baugher

S Aguirre

Revision history:

23-Aug-2013 15:25 Uli Elch Added
23-Aug-2013 15:34 Uli Elch Updated [Date, Registration, Location, Narrative]
07-Jun-2020 06:10 S Aguirre Updated [Total fatalities, Total occupants, Other fatalities, Source, Narrative]
07-Jun-2020 06:11 harro Updated [Other fatalities, Phase, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description