ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 212005
Last updated: 29 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:15:11 LT
Type:Just SuperSTOL XL
Registration: G-SSXL
MSN: LAA 397-15385
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Substantial
Location:Chat Moss, Salford, Greater Manchester -   United Kingdom
Phase: Landing
Departure airport:Barton City Airport, Liverpool Rd, Eccles, Manchester (ECCB)
Destination airport:Barton City Airport, Liverpool Rd, Eccles, Manchester (ECCB)
Investigating agency: AAIB
The aircraft was conducting a series of test flights prior to its Permit to Fly being issued by the LAA, because it was newly built and the engine type was new to this aircraft type.
Before the day of the accident, the aircraft had flown for approximately 7 hours with a different commander without event.
Before the first flight of the day, the aircraft was cleaned, and its underside was oil free. The engine’s oil was checked and topped up to half full, as indicated on the dip stick. The subsequent 20 minute flight was uneventful.

The intent of the second flight was to do the required testing in the visual circuit at Barton Aerodrome. On board were a testing pilot, who was the commander, in the right seat and the aircraft’s owner in the left. At the time, the weather was fine with a light and variable wind predominately from 200°, and the temperature was 24°C.
The aircraft took off from Runway 26 with about 8 US gal of Mogas (automotive gasoline) and the owner flying. When the aircraft was about 500 ft agl and 1 nm on the extended centreline, a warning indicated that the EGT indicated excessively hot. The engine’s throttle was retarded, the aircraft turned right onto the cross-wind leg and levelled at
about 800 ft agl. The engine then gradually lost power, failing shortly thereafter. The owner flew the aircraft in a right turn away from an area of woodland, with the aim of performing a forced landing in an adjacent ploughed field. The testing pilot then took control at about 200 ft agl to perform the landing.
The aircraft landed heavily, with right bank applied, and no flaps extended, resulting in the aircraft’s landing gear collapsing and the aircraft coming to rest on its underside. The testing pilot suffered serious injuries and the owner minor injuries, but they were able to extract themselves from the aircraft without assistance. The testing pilot was taken to hospital in an ambulance.
When the aircraft was removed from the field, the length of the underside was very oily and had some soil stuck to it. However, there was no sign of any external oil leaks from the engine despite the oil cooler being damaged. With the engine level, the oil dip stick indicated just below minimum.



Accident investigation:
Investigating agency: AAIB
Status: Investigation completed
Duration: 11 months
Download report: Final report



Photo of G-SSXL courtesy

Manchester - City / Barton (EGCB)
24 September 2017; (c) Chris Hall

Revision history:

10-Jun-2018 19:30 Geno Added
10-Jun-2018 19:48 Aerossurance Updated [Location, Country, Narrative]
10-Jun-2018 21:32 Geno Updated [Aircraft type, Registration, Cn, Operator, Source]
11-Jun-2018 06:59 Iceman 29 Updated [Source, Embed code]
13-Jun-2018 21:59 Dr. John Smith Updated [Time, Nature, Departure airport, Source, Embed code, Narrative]
09-May-2019 17:30 harro Updated [Time, Nature, Destination airport, Narrative, Accident report, ]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description