ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 267994
Last updated: 27 November 2021
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Time:c. 17:10
Type:Silhouette image of generic P68 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Partenavia P68 Victor
Owner/operator:Action Air
Registration: F-HIRD
MSN: 14
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:Carnsore Point, Co Wexford -   Ireland
Phase: En route
Departure airport:Waterford Airport (WAT/EIWF)
Destination airport:Waterford Airport (WAT/EIWF)
Investigating agency: AAIU
The twin-engine aircraft, a Partenavia P68 Victor, with one Pilot and three passengers on board, departed Waterford Airport (EIWF) at 12.08 LT. All of the passengers were part of an environmental research team and the purpose of the flight was to record sightings of a variety of marine wildlife. During the occurrence flight, one passenger was seated in the front right seat next to the pilot, and the two other passengers were seated in the row directly behind.
The plan for the flight was to fly at low altitude along 16 pre-defined survey lines. Each line was approximately 45 km in length and the lines were spaced approximately 4 km apart. The planned 16 survey lines were completed after 4 hours and 30 minutes of flying. Following a discussion with the passengers, and after assessing the remaining fuel, the pilot determined that there was approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes of fuel remaining and they decided to complete two more survey lines before returning to EIWF.
The pilot stated that two minutes after commencing the final survey line (i.e. the 18th survey line), an abnormal drop in the indicated fuel quantity was observed, the right engine stopped, and within approximately four minutes the indicated fuel quantity in the right tank dropped to zero.
The pilot advised that he switched on the fuel pump and pushed the throttle, fuel mixture and propeller levers forward, in an attempt to re-start the engine, which was unsuccessful.
At the time of the right engine stoppage, the aircraft was travelling at approximately 108 knots (kts). Recorded data shows that the aircraft then climbed to approximately 500 feet. The pilot said he carried out the actions required to secure the right engine including feathering the right propeller. The pilot noted that the left engine and left fuel quantity indicator at this point were stable. The pilot decided to fly directly to EIWF which he estimated was approximately 20 minutes away. However, the pilot stated that he had difficulty gaining and maintaining altitude on one engine, and that he did not believe the left engine was delivering full power. He said that he verified that the left fuel selector and fuel pump were on, and that he moved the fuel tank cross feed to ON, waited and then turned it OFF again, but it did not make any difference to the engine power.
He decided to fly close to the shore so that a forced landing could be carried out if necessary.
The pilot reported that when the aircraft was turned towards EIWF at an altitude of approximately 250 ft, the left engine stopped. The pilot attempted to re-start the left engine several times. The pilot said that the engine did re-start but each time it re-started, it stopped again within a few seconds. The pilot then flew directly to the shore and when the aircraft reached the shore, he banked the aircraft to the left and carried out a forced landing on the beach. The beach surface consisted of loose shale causing the aircraft to decelerate rapidly on touchdown. This caused the aircraft to pitch down, and the nose of the aircraft impacted heavily with the surface, causing significant structural damage to the cockpit and forward cabin areas. The pilot stated that immediately after landing, the left engine spontaneously re-started and accelerated to full power. The pilot said he pulled the engine mixture lever back to stop the engine. The passengers exited the aircraft through the aircraft door and the pilot exited the aircraft through the windscreen which had broken during the impact. The pilot and one passenger sustained serious injuries during the impact sequence and were airlifted to hospital by two Coastguard helicopters that attended the scene. The two other passengers sustained injuries and were taken to hospital by ambulance.

Sources: (photo)

Prelim report:



Revision history:

23-Sep-2021 17:34 harro Added
23-Sep-2021 17:58 harro Updated [Time, Narrative]
23-Sep-2021 19:27 harro Updated [Aircraft type, Registration, Cn, Phase, Nature, Departure airport, Source, Damage, Narrative]
23-Sep-2021 19:29 harro Updated [Operator, Destination airport, Source]
23-Sep-2021 19:31 harro Updated [Registration, Cn, Source, Narrative]
23-Sep-2021 19:33 harro Updated [Embed code]
23-Sep-2021 21:05 RobertMB Updated [Time, Aircraft type, Location, Source, Embed code, Narrative]
24-Sep-2021 07:06 Aerossurance Updated [Source]
24-Sep-2021 07:12 Aerossurance Updated [Embed code]
24-Sep-2021 07:12 Aerossurance Updated [Embed code]
24-Sep-2021 07:13 Aerossurance Updated [Source, Embed code]
24-Sep-2021 07:14 Aerossurance Updated [Location, Embed code]
27-Sep-2021 08:58 Aerossurance Updated [Source, Narrative]
12-Nov-2021 20:38 harro Updated [Source, Damage, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description