ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 59031
Last updated: 23 January 2022
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:26-MAR-2009
Time:06:15
Type:Silhouette image of generic DC10 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30
Owner/operator:Arrow Air
Registration: N526MD
MSN: 46998/267
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage: Minor
Category:Incident
Location:Near Eduardo Gomes Airport Manaus - AM -   Brazil
Phase: Take off
Nature:Cargo
Departure airport:SBEG
Destination airport:SKBO
Narrative:
On March 26, 2009, at 0615 UTC, an Arrow DC10-30F, registration N526MD, operating flight JW431, equipped with GE CF6-50 engines, experienced an uncontained engine failure during takeoff climb from Eduardo Gomes International Airport, Manaus, Brazil (SBEG). The airplane was operating under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 121 as a regularly scheduled cargo flight from SBEG to José Maria Córdova Airport, Bogota, Columbia. about 30 minutes after takeoff, at about 8,000 feet AGL, the airplane's No. 2 engine began to lose oil pressure and the N1 decreased. The N1 continued to decrease and the engine was shut down. The flight diverted to Rio Negro-Medellin Airport, Medellin, Colombia, where an uneventful landing was accomplished. The flight crew and one courier on board were not injured.
Post-flight inspection found that the aft end of the No. 2 engine was missing, and that there was considerable impact and tearing damage to the airplane's horizontal stabilizers, tail strut, elevator, and rudder. No persons on the ground were injured; however, the liberated engine parts had impacted a densely populated area, and 22 homes were reported damaged.

Teardown examination of the Arrow Cargo engine found that the low pressure turbine (LPT)S3 disk forward spacer arm had fractured and separated at the fillet radius between the disk spacer arm and the rim forward face. The aft section of the LPT S3 disk and all parts aft of the LPT S3 nozzles were missing. Inspection of the high pressure turbine found that one S1 blade was missing about 85% of its airfoil.

Metallurgical examination of the LPT S3 disk fracture surfaces revealed thumbnail-shaped HAF cracks over approximately 90% of the fracture surface. The cracks propagated from initiation sites spaced 0.1 inch to 0.2 inch around the inner circumference of the spacer arm. The remaining 10% of the fracture showed features consistent with overstress. The crack features indicated that, once initiated, individual fatigue cracks propagated rapidly through the spacer arm and joined to form larger cracks.

Sources:

http://noticias.bol.uol.com.br/brasil/2009/03/26/ult5772u3380.jhtm
Aero-News network
nhttp://www.aeropuertosarg.com.ar/losforos/index.php?topic=15740.20 (with photo)
http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/2010/A-10-098-101.pdf
http://avherald.com/h?article=4171239c&opt=0


Images:

Photo of N526MD courtesy AirHistory.net


Miami - Opa-locka Executive (KOPF / OPF)
19 February 2012; (c) Gerry Barron

Revision history:

Date/timeContributorUpdates
26-Mar-2009 10:25 dantas222 Added
27-Mar-2009 03:00 angels one five Updated
28-Mar-2009 01:28 dantas222 Updated
28-Mar-2009 01:29 harro Updated
28-Mar-2009 01:30 harro Updated
27-May-2010 23:38 harro Updated [Time, Total occupants, Source, Narrative]
21-Dec-2016 19:25 ASN Update Bot Updated [Time, Damage, Category, Investigating agency]
26-Sep-2021 07:01 hazy Updated [Source, Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description